lördag, januari 24, 2009

En varning från en överlevande

I Spectator skriver Douglas Davis sorgligt klargörande om den nya antisemitiska vågen i Europa.

At my dinner table on Friday night, a holocaust survivor admits that she is trying to persuade her son to take his family out of Europe to America, Canada, Australia, Canada, Australia, Israel...’They say they can’t leave me, but I tell them: “Go, get out. My parents left my grandparents behind in Berlin and brought me to safety in England. Now I want you to leave so that my grandchildren will be safe.”’ There is an unbearable desperation in her plea. But she has a point.

As tens of thousands of demonstrators march through the streets of Europe, the chants are modified but the message remains substantially intact: ‘Hamas, Hamas, Hamas — Jews to the Gas’. Or, more simply: ‘Death to the Jews’. Many European Jews, even well-established, affluent Jews, have been checking the suitcase they keep packed under the bed. They have been here before and many are (albeit reluctantly) reading the writing on the wall.

Läs alltihop.

Hade skribenten väntat ett par dagar med texten hade han kunnat lägga till att Svenska Kyrkan och Luleå kommun tillsammans beslutat att ställa in en traditionell minneshögtid för förintelsens offer för att det känns "obekvämt" och "malplacerat" efter Israels militära insats i Gaza.